of the Baton Rouge Plaza was transferred to a Dallas, Texas
based Indian-American group of hotel/motel owners by the
1990s. Safety and security concerns led them to fill in
the walkways across the facade, and the swimming pool was
decommissioned after a guest drowned.
the Alamo facade was painted a pinkish color trimmed in
teal in 2001, and all of the guest room windows facing the
street were removed. Additionally, bowing to pressure from
local authorities, the Plaza's owner removed the wonderful
circa 1959 "great sign" in 2004.
billboard (right) advertised the Alamo Plaza to motorists
approaching Baton Rouge from the west along U.S. 190, and
likely dated from the 1940s! All but forgotten, it survived
hidden from view in the brush. "Ghost signs" have
also been spotted on approach to Jackson