Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge and Restaurant Hamden Connecticut
Lobby card ca. 1990s: Bob Venditti
Brochure ca. 1970s: Dan Donahue
Hamden, Connecticut
 -- 2260 Whitney Ave

Opened in 1961, the Hamden Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge served as the C. A. White Company's entry into the hospitality business and as a cornerstone of their success. Established in 1948 by the Schaffer family, the C. A. White Company was set up to be a general real estate development and management organization.

Three generations of Schaffers owned and managed the Hamden Motor Lodge with Michael Schaffer being the last to oversee its Orange Roof.

Postcard ca. 1960s: Dan Donahue
Built during the early period of Motor Lodge expansion, Hamden's design was based on the not quite fully standardized plans that would later became a hallmark of Howard Johnson's Motor Lodges. Nonetheless the site featured an Orange Roof spire-cupola topped a-frame Gate Lodge, as well as other clearly recognizable HoJo's features. Initially the 90 room property offered exterior entry only guest rooms, and it was much later that its exposed stairwells and entryways were enclosed.
Photo December 19, 2001: Kummerlowe Archive
Photo 2000: Dan Donahue
Photo November 2000: Bob Venditti
Photos 2003 : Phil Edwards

Photo 12-19-01: Kummerlowe Archive
next page > > >