classic operation, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Motor Lodge
opened in 1965 joining a preexisting circa 1957 Restaurant.
An ultra-modern convenience the facility offered guests
use of its indoor heated swimming pool. The 96 room two-story
Motor Lodge remained a Howard Johnson's until 1985. Subsequently
the site became a Villager and then by the 2000s was called
JJL Extended Stay Inn.
well preserved, the signature A-frame Gate Lodge was modified
with a new canopy and entryway. Following the original roofline,
the canopy was clad in roof tiles that appeared to match the originals
on the rest of the Gate Lodge's roof.
2004: Courtesy of Scott Sargent
early as 1957 the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area was served by a
free-standing HJ Restaurant believed to be the one found adjacent
to the former Motor Lodge. First listed at 3406 Waterloo Road,
later the Restaurant's address became 4418 University Ave. By
the 2000s it housed a Lebeda