Postcards circa 1960s
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania -- 1123 Lincoln Way East
A River Runs Through It ... or rather under it!
Built on an awkward sliver of land, the Chambersburg Motor Lodge and Restaurant complex was opened in 1966. Boasting 132 rooms in its three floors as well as an indoor pool, the main guest building was situated over a stream, and the area behind the building featured a fish stocked pond in a park-like setting.
Brochure circa 1960s: Courtesy of Dan Donahue
Photograph October 23, 1996 courtesy of Dan Donahue
An exceptional unit, the busy Chambersburg Restaurant was a HJ Corporate location in 1985 and was transferred to Marriott after the company was dissolved. Since it was a high volume location and enjoyed an excellent reputation based on its Orange Roof and Howard Johnson's name, Marriott decided not to convert the Restaurant. After Marriott exited the family restaurant business, it transferred Chambersburg in 1991 to Franchise Associates Incorporated (FAI) along with 16 other Howard Johnson's locations. FAI kept the location until 1998 and then "cashed in" on its site.
Card circa 1990s: Courtesy of Dan Donahue
Images from the Internet circa 2005
The Motor Lodge lost its Orange Roof and was converted into a Four Points by Sheraton during the later 1990s.

Photographs May 1999
Converted into a restaurant called Mallards, the long-time Howard Johnson's Restaurant was severely renovated. Alas the damage done, Mallards was unsuccessful and only lasted a couple of years. Ryan B. has reported that the Restaurant has been "totally demolished" and that a newly constructed Ruby Tuesdays will come to occupy the former HoJo's site.