is the oldest existing McDonald's hamburger stand in the
world. Its neon arches and red and white tile have become
an icon of California car culture of the 1950s. The towering
neon chef, "Speedee," was McDonald's first mascot
and symbolized fast, efficient service.
August 18, 1953, by Roger Williams and Burdette "Bud"
Landon, Downey's was the third stand franchised by Richard
and Maurice McDonald, who founded the chain in 1948.
Kroc, then a Multimixer milkshake machine salesman and
later founder of McDonald's Corporation, visited this
building in 1954 to prepare for the construction of his
first McDonald's franchise in Des Plains, Illinois which
opened in 1955.
Architect: Stanley Clark Meston, AIA. Designated a local
historical site by the Downey Historical Society, 1983.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places,
U. S. Department of the Interior, 1984. Restored by McDonald's
City of Downey Joyce L. Lawarence Mayor,