From Landmark Dec. 1963 vol. 2 no. 8
AKA Motor Lodge-Ambassador
 --1020 Washington Blvd

Built at the corner of Washington Boulevard and Michigan Avenue across from the Sheraton-Cadillac Hotel, Detroit-Downtown was developed by the Ambassador Hotel Company. The site along with Detroit-New Center was managed by International Hotels Inc., a Berry and Sanburn firm.

According to directories it was open by 1966 and remained listed until the early 1980s. Subsequently the property was known as The Mariner Hotel, The Ambassador Best Western, and by the middle 2000s was operating as a Holiday Inn Express.

LEFT: Circa 1963 rendering which did not much look like the finished product.
Postcard circa 1960s: Kummerlowe
Matchbook covers circa 1970s: Kummerlowe
Brochure circa 1980s: Dan Donahue
ABOVE: Roof-top heated swimming pool and sauna
LEFT: Guest room with HoJo's amenities and furnishings
BELOW: The lobby was 1960s modern
Postcards ca. 1970s: Kummerlowe
Photos 6-2006: Phil Edwards
Photograph April 2004: Kummerlowe

The purpose of this site is informational. It is neither commercial nor representative of any brand, company, or business. Trade names, trademarks, etc. that are depicted remain the property of their respective owners. Please contact this site's owner prior to reproducing any part of it. Works from contributors (includes photographs, ephemera, etc.) must not be reproduced without their explicit consent.