Advertisement 1962: Robby Delius

Photographca. 2000s: Phil Edwards
Arlington, Virginia -- 4700 Lee Hwy.
AKA Cherrydale
Among Virginia's earliest Restaurants, Arlington opened in 1940 as the third outlet in the state. Not long-lived like its predecessors, Alexandria and Fairfax, it was closed by 1968. Eventually the building was demolished and a Chevy Chase bank branch came to occupy its address.

Howard Johnson's Landmark-Middle East:
Feb-March 1958, p. 10
Courtesy of Dan Donahue
Fairfax, Virginia
 -- Fairfax circle

Set to open in the summer of 1939, Fairfax and Alexandria were the first two Howard Johnson's in Virginia. Likely a Company owned Restaurant, Fairfax remained open until 1985. Its highly visible site came to be occupied by a Dunkin Donuts.

Left: Dairy counter at the Fairfax, Virginia Howard Johnson's: Richard Power, Myrtle Walton, Martha Beitzel and Martha Dancy

Below: The postcard view was one in a series of local cards produced by Eastern Air Service. Note the unusual "art deco" cupola which was somewhat similar to Florida's first Restaurant located in Miami.

Postcard circa 1940s: Christopher Joy

Postcard circa 1950s
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Adjacent to the 18 room luxuriously furnished Twi-Lite Motel, Fredericksburg's stand-alone Restaurant was opened in 1951 with Henry Ovitt as its owner. the unit only lasted until 1965 not long before the nearby Fredericksburg Motor Lodge and restaurant complex was opened.
Postcard circa 1950s: Dan Donahue

Howard Johnson's Scoop: circa 1954
Lynchburg, Virginia -- 5320 Wards Rd

Said to be owned originally by Joseph Cicco who was chief Howard Johnson Architect at the time, the Lynchburg stand-alone restaurant opened in 1954 and remained a Howard Johnson's until at least 1986.

A contributor from Lynchburg, Ed Thomas, wrote that "after it's closure, it stayed vacant for a few years before becoming a greasy-spoon type restaurant named Della's before becoming an old-fashioned ice cream parlor called Billy Joe's. Ultimately, corporate expansion led to the demise of the building. About 6-8 or so years ago it was demolished and replaced with a Walgreen's."


Postcard circa 1950s: Dan Donahue
Williamsburg, Virginia -- Duke of Gloucester St
Located in what was known as Merchants Square, the Howard Johnson's was in a period-looking building adjacent the historic section of Colonial Williamsburg. The site was a Howard Johnson's from about 1951 until 1963 according to directory entries. It was a licensed unit owned by William Biggs. Based on the postcard views, it was likely more ice cream shop than full-service restaurant.
Postcard circa 1960s: Kummerlowe Archive
Below & Lower: Believed to have been closed by early 1963 the Williamsburg HoJo's Restaurant was recycled into Binn's Fashion Shop, a high end women's apparel store.
Photos March 2008: Phil Edwards

The purpose of this site is informational. It is neither commercial nor representative of any brand, company, or business. Trade names, trademarks, etc. that are depicted remain the property of their respective owners. Please contact this site's owner prior to reproducing any part of it. Works from contributors (includes photographs, ephemera, etc.) must not be reproduced without their explicit consent.